Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Boneseeker by Brynn Chapman~



Welcome!

Today I'm interviewing Arabella Holmes, the main character in the new novel by Brynn Chapman "The Boneseeker".  She's just a tad bit feisty, as you'll soon see for yourself. :)

Here's a synopsis of Brynn's new book:

Arabella Holmes was born different and raised different. After it became apparent she wouldn’t fit the role of a proper 1900′s lady, her father, Sherlock, called in some lingering favors, and landed her a position at the Mutter Museum. The museum was Arabella’s dream; she was to become a purveyor of abnormal science. What her father called a BoneSeeker.

Henry Watson arrives at the Mutter Museum with a double assignment–to become a finder of abnormal antiquities and to watch over and keep Arabella Holmes. An easy task, if he could only get her to speak to him instead of throwing knives in his general direction.

But this is no time for child’s play. The two teens are assigned to a most secret exploration, when the hand of a Nephilim is unearthed in upstate New York. Soon, Arabella and Henry are caught in a fight for their lives as scientific debate swirls around them. Are the bones from a Neanderthal … or are they living proof of fallen angels, who supposedly mated with humans according to ancient scrolls?

Sent to recover the skeleton, they discover they are the second team to have been deployed and the entire first team is dead. And now they must trust their instincts and rely on one another in order to survive and uncover the truth.
 
 Hi Arabella! You have an interesting job title. Can you tell me, exactly what is abnormal science?

Good afternoon. Please excuse my penmanship—it is drivel.

Abnormal science: an oddity. My current position is to seek out and procure artifacts and relics abnormal in nature.

For instance, seven or eight feet tall skeletons, with six toes and occasionally two rows of teeth, discussed in Ms. Chapman’s scribblings about my adventures, which she has titled BONESEEKER.
I personally find her vexing—but as she won’t go away, I am forced to tolerate her presence.  

Last week we were called to collect the recently deceased corpse of a man with Situs Inversus. What is that, you ask?

When the organs grow on the opposite side of the body, heart on the right rather than left, and so on.

We proceeded to prepare the man’s torso and mount him in formaldehyde for the benefit of the College of Physicians and Surgeons and the medical students. Shrugs.

That would be a typical day for me. That and restoring skeletons and or continuing my knowledge of taxidermy.

 Oh my. And how does a young lady, such as yourself, find in herself in such an unusual profession? Is it ever dangerous?

That…is a sticky question. I would not be in my current position (and many, many seek to unseat me from it) if it were not for my famous father…who called in several favors so that I might continue in my studies. My obsessions, as Henry calls them.

I…do not fit with the females of my kind. They despise me. I am unable to feign interest in most things feminine—and it has been my burden since I first opened my mouth to speak my first word.

Spider.

And yes, it is dangerous at times. I do not look for hazards…but I seem to be the gravitational center for a myriad of orbiting misadventures.

I am at home in the museum, more than anywhere else—so blast them all. And I dare them to try to send me home.

Stop waving your arms, Henry, I shall write what I please.

 Haha! What's been your most amazing discovery so far?

 Hmm….conjoined twins….the  Diphyllobothrium nihonkaiense, which you would call a tape worm—28 feet in length, pulled from a man.

Or…perhaps the fact that Henry actually taught me how to dance.

Is there anything else we should know about you, Arabella?

Ms. Chapman is intent on recording our adventures. I suppose I shall have to tolerate her presence for years to come. Henry likes her well enough…but he likes most people well enough, so that isn’t saying much.

I…am trying to learn to endure social experiences. Just so long as this… writer, does not insist I accompany her to any bookshops, I think the arrangement shall work.

Thanks for visiting the blog and good luck with your adventures!

*Arabella nods.
 
You can find out more about Brynn Chapman's book "The Boneseeker" here:


 
Title: BONESEEKER
Publication date: June 17, 2014
Publisher: Month9Books, LLC.
Author: Brynn Chapman


Arabella Holmes was born different and raised different. After it became apparent she wouldn’t fit the role of a proper 1900′s lady, her father, Sherlock, called in some lingering favors, and landed her a position at the Mutter Museum. The museum was Arabella’s dream; she was to become a purveyor of abnormal science. What her father called a BoneSeeker.
 
Henry Watson arrives at the Mutter Museum with a double assignment–to become a finder of abnormal antiquities and to watch over and keep Arabella Holmes. An easy task, if he could only get her to speak to him instead of throwing knives in his general direction.
 
But this is no time for child’s play. The two teens are assigned to a most secret exploration, when the hand of a Nephilim is unearthed in upstate New York. Soon, Arabella and Henry are caught in a fight for their lives as scientific debate swirls around them. Are the bones from a Neanderthal … or are they living proof of fallen angels, who supposedly mated with humans according to ancient scrolls?
 
Sent to recover the skeleton, they discover they are the second team to have been deployed and the entire first team is dead. And now they must trust their instincts and rely on one another in order to survive and uncover the truth.

ABOUT BRYNN CHAPMAN: 

 
 
Born and raised in western Pennsylvania, Brynn Chapman is the daughter of two teachers. Her writing reflects her passions: science, history and love—not necessarily in that order. In real life, the geek gene runs strong in her family, as does the Asperger’s syndrome. Her writing reflects her experience as a pediatric therapist and her interactions with society’s downtrodden. In fiction, she’s a strong believer in underdogs and happily-ever-afters. She also writes non-fiction and lectures on the subjects of autism and sensory integration and is a medical contributor to online journal The Age of Autism.
 
 
Author Links:  Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads
 
 


Giveaway Information:  Winner will be drawn July 11, 2014
·         Four (4) winners will receive an ebook copy of Boneseeker by Brynn Chapman (INT)
·         One (1) winner will receive an ebook copy of Boneseeker by Brynn Chapman AND a $10 Amazon Gift Card or B&N Gift Card – Winner’s Choice (INT)

2 comments:

  1. The premise of this book sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does sound like fun and I love the spunky attitude :)

    ReplyDelete